Wednesday, February 15

What is My Property Tax Rate?

This was my best reference question of the day. Actually the real question was "I have a bet that Lake Co. has a higher property tax rate than Cook". Initially, I thought it would be a very quick search in the respective  County Tax Assessors web page. I could NOT have been more wrong! I searched the entire web site for both counties, performed a Google search and nada. By this time, nothing was going to keep me from finding this information and settling the patron's bet plus I really wanted to know now...

I decided to look up my own property bill to see the breakdown. Of course, Cook Co. doesn't have detailed tax bills available electronically. Really, come on Cook get with it! However, they do provide a tiny image of the bill that does not enlarge well. I squinted and magnified the page and pieced together bits of info like the Volume #, Tax Code #, and Township #. I 'Googled' tax rate for tax code with the # which lead me to this list. Then I returned to the Lake Co. site and used a random address in the area and found the rate within the detailed tax bill.

And the WINNER (or loser) is......  Cook Co. has the highest property tax rate*.

*Based on my property in the City of Chicago (Cook Co.) and a random property in Deerfield (Lake Co.)

No comments:

Post a Comment